The Pushkin Square
The ancient House of Pushkin was descended from a viking cavalier by the name of Varegue Radcha who immigrated to Russia during the reign of Alexandre Nevsky in the year 1200. Many members of the House of Pushkin served the throne of Russia.
The House of Pushkin became allied to European royal families first through the marriage of Nathalie, daughter of the celebrated poet Alexandre Pushkin to the Duke of Nassau and again through the marriage of their daughter to Grand Duke Michael of Russia.
This can be verified by Russian history and the geological history of the House of Pushkin, documented in the registers of the Russian nobility in their capacity as members of the very old House of Boyards Pushkin, cited in volume VI of the registers of the Loukianoff district.
In the early fourteenth century the nickname 'Pouchka' (Russian for 'canon'… the canon had been used for the first time in 1346 in the battle of Crécy) was given to the eldest child of the seventh generation of direct descendance from a Viking family by the name of Ratcha. Towards the end of the century the name Pouchka became Pushkin.
In 1613 new members of the family signed the act of the election to the throne of the Romanoff dynasty. The House of Pushkin served the throne of Russia in the capacity of boyards, counselors, seneschals and ambassadors. In 1798 the poet's father Serge Pushkin who was a lieutenant in the Imperial Guard, became a hereditary knight of the Order of Malta.
He married Nadine Hanibal, the granddaughter of Abraham Hanibal, the son of an Ethiopian prince who had been offered to Peter the Great and became his protégé. Abraham Hanibal finished his career as commander-in-chief of the Imperial army.